Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Software » Linux

Post subject: X2 Driver
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:56 am 

Hi - I've just purchased an ASI 1600MC-Cool (original version with ST4).

I've been using it with the X2 driver on a Raspberry Pi. Firstly, I am impressed at how easy it was to use the driver - nothing to load, just worked out of the box.

A couple of things though:

a) There are a much larger number of settings - not just offset (brightness) and gain, but also white balance for two of the colour channels, a gamma setting, options for binning and controlling the data transfer rate to ensure you get an image. Is there any documentation for these settings (e.g. one of default values for the colour balance is over .9, the other and gamma 0.5. Is there a reason for that?).

b) The setting did not seem persistent - when I changed the values, they would reset to the defaults next time I started the programme. This is also true for the window's version. Can these be made persistent?

c) I could not get the ST4 port to work using the X2 driver on the PI or on Windows (it did work using the ASCOM driver however). Do I need to do anything to get this working?

I am also having problems with strange swirls on the images - I'm still investigating - if I can't get anywhere, I'll post and seek advice.

Thank you very much,

Colin

Post subject: Re: X2 Driver
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:59 am 
Site Admin

about the settings, the software manual could help you:https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/manuals/

In our next version's x2driver the setting will be saved, I'm woking on it.

ST4 port problem: which interface do you use to control it on Pi? since on Windows you can
use our ST4 ASCOM driver, but on Linux/MacOSX there is no ASCOM driver.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:34 pm 

yang wrote:
about the settings, the software manual could help you:https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/manuals/

Thanks for the link - I looked at them, but could not find any description of what WB_R etc actually were - they appeared as controls in images, but with no descriptions. Could this be added to the manual?

yang wrote:
In our next version's x2driver the setting will be saved, I'm woking on it.

That's great - will look out for the next release.

yang wrote:
ST4 port problem: which interface do you use to control it on Pi? since on Windows you can
use our ST4 ASCOM driver, but on Linux/MacOSX there is no ASCOM driver.

I am using your X2 interface - can that not control the ST4 port? It looks like you only have to implement one method to make this work:

virtual int CameraDriverInterface::CCActivateRelays

Is this not included in your X2 driver? if not, could it be added?

Thank you,

Colin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:20 am 
Site Admin

There is a brief description below each control in our x2 camera driver, if it's hard for user to understand, I consider making it more detailed.

I'll add the CCActivateRelays interface.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:32 am 

yang wrote:
There is a brief description below each control in our x2 camera driver, if it's hard for user to understand, I consider making it more detailed.

I'll take a look and let you know.

yang wrote:
I'll add the CCActivateRelays interface.

That would be great! Thank you!

Colin

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:15 am 
Site Admin

Hi, please try this new version: http://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/sof ... 224.tar.gz

if there is any problem please tell me, thank you.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:10 am 

Thank you very much for the prompt update.

I've tried the driver - two things:

a) The settings still don't seem to be persistent (at least the USB bandwidth is not, which is the one I tried and need to change regularly). I've looked at the descriptions in the driver - they only really tell you the name, not what it really does, nor give you any advice on how you might want to adjust the settings.

b) The activate relays is now working - when I press the camera relay buttons on the take photo tab, the scope moves as expected. However, there is a problem in the guide calibration routine. When I try this, TSX takes the initial photo, then starts to move the mount at the guide rate as expected. At this point, it should wait for the calibration move to complete (it guides the mount for the time you set, say 30s, then takes another image to calibrate how far its moved). However, TSX immediately takes another photo and says that the mount has not moved far enough. In the meantime, the mount continues to move at the guide rate but indefinitely.

I wondered if TSX expects this to be a synchronous action (i.e. its waiting for the guide to finish), but you have set it up to be asynchronous? Either way, there is a problem with the calibration routine (which is kind of vital to be able to guide :) ).

Happy to test out another version if needed.

Thank you very much,

Colin

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:17 am 

mcgillca wrote:
I wondered if TSX expects this to be a synchronous action (i.e. its waiting for the guide to finish), but you have set it up to be asynchronous? Either way, there is a problem with the calibration routine (which is kind of vital to be able to guide :) ).

I've just had a look at the CCActivateRelays method - it passes you a flag to say whether it expects this to be synchronous or asynchronous, so it should let you know what it expects you to do.

Not sure what the bEndThread variable would expect you to do though! Call exit?

Colin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:32 am 
Site Admin

I have asked Software Bisque for help about CCActivateRelays and I'm waiting for their reply, if there's a new version's plug-in I'll let you know.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:35 am 

yang wrote:
I have asked Software Bisque for help about CCActivateRelays and I'm waiting for their reply, if there's a new version's plug-in I'll let you know.

Thank you! I will look forward to it.

Colin

Board index » Software » Linux