Board index » Software » Linux

Post subject: Re: X2 Driver
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:27 am 
Site Admin

Please try this version: http://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/sof ... 301.tar.gz

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:50 pm 

That is fantastic!

The calibration and relays all work now as expected, and the driver remembers every setting.

I haven't tried this under the stars yet - will have a go next time the skies clear, but everything I can test indoors works very well.

Thank you very much.

Can I ask - i currently have one camera, but am thinking about buying a second - it looks like the driver is set up for multiple cameras. Can I use the X2 driver to specify one camera for the guider, and another for the imaging camera?

Thank you again - very impressive and prompt response!

Colin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:05 am 
Site Admin

I'm glad it works!
Yes, it supports selecting one camera as imager and another as guider, you need to selecting camera in setting dialog box before connecting

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:23 pm 

Hi - I did buy a 120MM-S to use as a guide camera. I'm having problems using the X2 driver.

When I use the X2 driver, I get regular timeout errors (I was testing with a shot every 4 seconds, and a delay of 1 s between every frame), despite setting the USB bandwidth to 40%.

I tried it on my desktop windows machine and it was worse! On the windows version (older version of the driver) I got a timeout every time I tried to use the camera.

If I used the ASCOM driver, however, I got no timeouts whatever.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Colin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:33 am 
Site Admin

It works on my computer, can I remote control your Windows computer through TeamViewer and see what's the problem, you can send your ID and password of Teamviewer by email to me directly

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:27 am 

yang wrote:
It works on my computer, can I remote control your Windows computer through TeamViewer and see what's the problem, you can send your ID and password of Teamviewer by email to me directly

Thank you very much - I have sent you a PM.

I also tried last night on a different Windows 10 computer - same result for both USB 2 and USB 3 connections: I can connect to the ASI-120MM-S, but not take any images with the X2 driver even with the bandwidth set to 40% - I just get a timeout error. No problems with the ASCOM driver.

I get an occasional timeout with the 1600MC, but generally this works fine with the X2 driver.

Colin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:46 am 

Hi Yang - are around to help with this today?

Coln

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:35 pm 

I've also been experimenting on the Pi.

PHD2 works very well, and allows me to take images all day with the ASI-120MM-S - so this is definitely something that is a problem with the X2 driver.

Its a bit odd - the occasional timeouts (say every couple of minutes) with the X2 driver on the Pi occur towards the end of taking an image. On the Windows platform, its as soon as I try and take an image.

I did suggest a possible solution to Richard Wright.

A couple of years ago, I had a similar problem with the ASCOM driver for Atik - as I remember, the issue was that TSX polls the camera very regularly as the time for end of the exposure draws close - this was causing lots of requests for the status of the camera, which caused the issue. - see post below.

http://www.bisque.com/sc/forums/t/26191.aspx

Richard was not hopeful that this was the problem, but it might be worth conferring with him to see if this is a problem.

Coiln

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:02 pm 

Well, I sorted out the Windows 10 problem.

I had been using the latest build of The Sky X - I had assumed that would have the latest driver, but it doesn't.

I downloaded the latest driver for Windows and that fixed the issue.

Just the Raspberry Pi issue to sort now.

Colin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:10 pm 

Dear Yang,

Hi - I've been discussing this with Richard Wright at Software Bisque. He investigated and found that the timeout occurs at the end of exposure period. At this point, The Sky X asks whether the exposure is completed very often (10,000 times a second) - apparently this is required for AO and other applications.

Richard found a bug in TSX where this actually happened even more often than planned - he supplied me with a test version of TSX where this had been corrected, but I still get the timeouts at the end of exposures.

Matt Bisque says that if these requests are overwhelming the system, the right way to deal with it is to add a sleep command:

Mathew Bisque on SB site wrote:
if TheSky is calling, say CameraDriverInterface::CCIsExposureComplete(), too frequently for your needs, the recommended/expected way to throttle this back is by calling SleeperInterface::sleep(nAmount) at the top of the function in question. By doing this, you can effectively set the rate the function is called. There is no real penalty to the user interface since these operations are on a different thread and the SleeperInterface::sleep() is an efficient wait state.

See - http://www.bisque.com/sc/forums/t/26191 ... ageIndex=2

Could you build a version with say a 100 ms sleep in this interface to see if this solves the timeout issue? Happy to test.

Thank you,

Colin

Board index » Software » Linux