Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Announcements

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:50 am 

Ok, I recently received my asi120mc with a cctv lens to use as a whole sky camera. purchased as a bundle. Now I tested the unit during daylight to ensure image and clarity/focus. Clear with no spots. All was great. So now I'm out in a perfect 12% light pollution dark night spot with zero clouds. I used firecap first and after a few moment trying default setting..I started getting hot pixels everywhere, I meaning hundreds and hundreds. for at first I thought dust between imager and lens. No dust (also the pixels didn't move after reassembled). all my typical thoughts from dlsr thinking (gamma, gain,etc) yelded no change, It just took longer for the spots to appear. What am I missing? any thoughts or ideas, I feel like it might be something simple but?? I have a few more nights out here and id love to get stackable shots or timelapse.... :?: :?: feeling very lost..

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:49 am 

High gain and few seconds exposure will give you a lot of noise. This camera is designed for planetary imaging - much shorter exposures. If you want to do a all-sky imaging at few-sec exposures use much lower gain.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:52 pm 

I also are suffering the same dilemna. I have tested my camera further and are getting pixels at 345ms exposure. Surely that is not caused by heat.. the pixels appear in the same position on every separate occasion. I have dropped the gain to zero and still see the pixels. I assume it must be a fault on the chip. Any suggestions anyone? Please.
Ray

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:37 pm 

Yeah unfortunately still having the issue, starting to wonder about the sensors myself. Got a new telescope for the holidays and I'll be in culmination mode for a bit and see what that brings. I'm only getting it in "black" background but a quick test in daylight nothing there. Also gonna try new software. Somethings just not right and I'm scratching my head way too much

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:50 am 

use the dark-subtract function when you need to do long exposure

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:07 pm 

Thank you for the thought but unfortunately that's when I get the most bright dots. I thought there might be artifacts in the lens that came with it but it happened with my new telescope I received for the holidays (bummed) my plug and pray idea didn't work. At this point. Since the artifacts are in the exact same place as they were when using the stand alone sky lens in the kit, and they get darker over time exposure, I'm left thinking the sensor is damaged (most likely by me somehow?) does anyone know how to test it to be absolutely sure the sensor it functioning correctly?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:04 pm 

I have referred my issue back to my supplier . They seem to think that at 1 or 2 seconds exposure hot pixels should not be an issue. I sent them photos of the image and my settings. I also get hot pixels at speeds of 300th of a second. I definately would not expect hot pixels at that speed .. zwo seem to keep saying use the dark to subtract the pixels. I am beginning to think that the customer service zwo raves about is actually very poor. And if you have any problems it's not their concern. Is a 2 second expose long?? Not in my opinion. If I use the sky lens on my asi 120mc I have gain on almost zero and exposure on 2 seconds, this creates more pixels than stars. It looks terrible. Why supply a sky lens if the results are so shocking?.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:42 pm 

Even more disturbing... I posted my thoughts and questions on the zwo Facebook page. And rather than answer with help or an explanation. They removed my post and blocked me... what does that say about the camera and the company?.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:54 pm 

I have no intention to bash or complain ,in this post. I find it interesting how multiple people purchasing the same kit,unit, and experiencing exactly the same issue and we are being told to Make unrealistic adjustment. I was not expecting to photoshop hot multi colored pixils in my shots. I wanted someone more familiar with this product to educate me on what I was doing wrong . At this point I no longer feel it's me....but still help...maybe?

Board index » General » Announcements