Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Products » Cameras

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:08 pm 

Indeed I get that error when I run the setup. Even weirder, I downloaded the latest version of the driver on Intel site (for C220 chipset), and I could install it under W7 Enterprise 64b, despite CPUZ not showing C220 as my chipset - unfortunately that did not help in having my ASI120MM-S get recognized. And under W8.1 Pro (demo version) on the same PC, I got that "minimal configuration" error ...

Marc

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:23 am 

Marc Delcroix wrote:
Indeed I get that error when I run the setup. Even weirder, I downloaded the latest version of the driver on Intel site (for C220 chipset), and I could install it under W7 Enterprise 64b, despite CPUZ not showing C220 as my chipset - unfortunately that did not help in having my ASI120MM-S get recognized. And under W8.1 Pro (demo version) on the same PC, I got that "minimal configuration" error ...

Marc

that's wired, Intel USB3.0 host controller should be the most stable one
maybe you can email Robin about his driver version

did other computers recongize this camera?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:12 am 

Hi Sam,

This is the only USB3 computer I could test the camera on (and I tested the 4 ports, 2 of them do not provide enough power but I get a message about that).
I will try to contact Robin directly ...

Thanks for your help

Marc

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:22 am 

Hi Sam,

Robin nicely contacted me, his installations steps do not differ from what I did.

I have done further tests under windows 7 Enterprise 64bits on the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller:
- The basic MS driver installed does not work
- I cannot install the 1.0.7.248 driver version (Demo3 version) with the error reported
- I cannot install the "C216" latest 1.0.10.255 version from Intel with the same error
- I can install the "C220" latest 2.5.3.34 version from Intel, but cannot get the camera recognized
this version is listed to work for 4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor Family, Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 series Chipset Family, 4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) Processor U-Series Platform I/O

My conclusions would be that:
- either my camera or included USB cable could have a problem
- or my USB chip could have a problem (but I doubt, the ASI120MM works well, and other USB2 devices also ...)
- or I could have a different chipset for the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller which would not be supported by Demo3.
=> I would suggest you check with Aptina if their Demo3 package works for the Vendor ID 8086, Device ID 9C31 USB3 Controller (apparently C220 chipset) - maybe my model is too recent to be supported yet (just got the PC a couple of months ago) - then they should adapt their package for such a standard configuration I suppose.

Thanks for your support!

Marc

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:45 am 

Hi Marc
my suggest is you should try the camera in another PC to make sure the camera works well
Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller is the most compatible host from our tester's feedback

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:39 am 

Hi,

Just to add I didn't have any problems installing the ASI120MM-S on to my Asus UX32A, just installed the driver/software from your page and then the DLL so I can run it from Firecapture. Unfortunately, I don't have another PC available with USB3.0 and I am guessing that installing it on a USB2.0 isn't going to tell us very much?

I have just bought a PCI -> USB3.0 I/F card for my server, but I haven't fitted it yet and the computer is not the easiest to get at, but I can try this when I get chance?

Let me know if you need me to do any other testing or detail any of the file/chip versions?

Finally, just wanted to say that I am finding my ASI120MM-S superb. I can't see any difference between the USB3.0 and USB2.0 models, apart from the faster frame rate and I haven't had any issues what so ever with loss of data, hanging, dropped or corrupted frames. I have mostly used it for solar, both white light (superb) and Ha, where I get Newton Rings, but the stacking software gets rid of these. I have just bought a tilt adapter from TS, but haven't had enough sun to try it out yet. Now I am waiting for an even bigger chip area with USB3.0, hope there is one on the development bench?

Robin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:26 am 

thanks Robin for your feedback
USB3.0 camera is fullly compatible with USB2.0

bigger chip is under development :D

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:40 pm 

Hi Sam,

I did another installation test on my HP EliteBook 840. I'm glad to say that it worked (even if I do not know why it did not work before, maybe a few reboots and installation/deinstallation were necessary ?).

For the installation, Demo3 Intel USB3 ext. controler driver installation does not work, I had to install the latest C220 driver version (Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller v2.5.3.34) from Intel website - see https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Search ... Controller

Tests results, on desk, are good, they speak for themselves:

Camera / resolution / FPS achieved / Overclock:
120MM-S / 1280x960 / 74 / 30%
120MM-S / 1280x960 / 59 / 0%
120MM / 1280x960 / 34 / n/a

120MM-S / 800x640 / 115 / 30%
120MM-S / 800x640 / 89 / 0%
120MM / 800x640 / 71 / n/a

120MM-S / 640x480 / 152 / 30%
120MM-S / 640x480 / 117 / 0%
120MM / 640x480 / 111 / n/a

USB Traffic is not limited, and the FPS varies for both cameras during preview/acquisition (it seems to vary more for the ASI120MM).

Please note that I could not make the ASI120MM-S work on one out of 4 of my USB ports (maybe because that port does not deliver enough power ?).

It looks like the noise on the 120MM-S is a bit less than for the 120MM, do you confirm ?

Thanks for your support, know time to test it on field, but Uranus and Neptune do not require fast FPS ...

Marc

http://astrosurf.com/delcroix

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:29 am 

Hi Marc
that's good news it finally works.
thanks for the info
the speed looks very promising

>It looks like the noise on the 120MM-S is a bit less than for the 120MM, do you confirm ?
yes, the 3.0 version we build in HPC function in hardware
so less nosie than the old one

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:48 am 

After reading these threads, I am no longer surprised that my new Asus Zenbook does not recognize the ASI120MC-S. These cameras appear not to be compatible with a number of computers and USB3.0 ports. They should not even be on the market until the compatibility bugs are worked out. At the very least, vendors should post a list of computers that these cameras ARE compatible with to avoid unpleasant surprises. I, for one, am going to attempt to return this camera to Highpoint Scientific where I bought it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Products » Cameras