Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Products » Cameras

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:47 pm 

Seems like in the past I recall at least some users having issues when trying to use 2 ZWO ASI cameras at a time - usually in a configuration with one camera guiding and one camera as the main imaging camera. I am a very happy owner of an ASI1600MM-C, but a not so happy owner of a QHY 5L-II guide camera. The QHY, while giving a nice image with good sensitivity, seems to crash and not be stable, to the point of it not being a capable guide camera over the course of an evening of imaging. I have an older SSAG camera I also use, but it has a much noisier image than the QHY.

So I am considering replacing either of those with a ZWO camera for guiding, either an ASI120MM, or perhaps even the ASI290MM mini, but I absolutely do not want to have any continued problems with dropouts and issues. I know the current drivers show support for using simultaneous ZWO cameras under the ASCOM driver - is this going to be a stable configuration for me? I typically like to run the ASI1600 at USB 3.0 speeds (to minimize amp glow; I have the previous generation camera) but would like to not lose the ability to also run it at USB 2.0, so I would need to be sure these 2 cameras would work in a USB3.0 (ASI1600) / USB2.0 (ASI120MM or ASI290MM mini) configuration, as well as running both cameras in USB 2.0 at the same time.

Thanks bunches for any information,

ML

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:29 am 

I use a ASI1600MM-C & ASI120MM together without a problem. The 120MM is pluged into the 1600's hub and both connected to a USB2 port on the laptop. The only minor issue is that both cameras need the USB bandwidth turned down to 40%.

XAGYL filterwheel, ZWO LRGB filters, Baader photometric V filter
http://solarscreech.blogspot.co.uk/

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:44 am 

ASI290 Mini is the best choice
it is the newest guide camera and won't have any problem

Board index » Products » Cameras