Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Software » Windows

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:43 pm 

Hi

I use an ASI120MM for guide camera. If I connect the camera to my laptop using a USB2.0 port it works fine! But if I connect it using a USB3.0 port in the laptop it dosn't work!

The problem is the same no matter if I connect the camera directly to the laptop or through a powered USB2.0 hub. I've also tried connecting it through a USB3.0 hub, here the issue is also the same... the camera work if I use a USB2.0 port on my laptop, it doesn't work if I use a USB3.0 port!

I would really like to use a powered USB3.0 Hub, close to my mount, to connect all my devices into, and then just run a single USB3.0 cable to my laptop!

I run Windows 10, on a Lenovo T420s laptop. I use the latest ZWO ASI Camera Drivers (v.1.0.0.7)

When the camera doesn't work, I get the following error message in the device manager:

Attachments:
ZWO ASI120MM bug.png
ZWO ASI120MM bug.png [ 43.8 KiB | Viewed 227 times ]
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:42 am 
Site Admin

This issue does occur with USB3.0 port for USB2.0 camera, please connect it to USB2.0 port

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:39 am 

At the moment it is no problem, but it will require me to run two usb cables from my imaging rig to my laptop instead of just one!

Also in the future I foresee this would be a problem as I, or someone else might use a laptop that only has USB3 ports.... I think the driver should be fixed so the USB2 camera will work on a USB3 port.

best regards Anders Lange

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:20 am 

Only USB2.0 camera have such problem
and you can flash the firmware to make it work under some USB3.0 port
but we don't recommend that as the current firmware is more powerful

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:37 am 

Thank you for the response, I'll see what I can do...

But I do think it's a problem that the USB2 cameras doesn't always work on a USB3 port, since many newer computers only have USB3 ports!

I really hope you will fix the firmware / driver problems causing these issues! Or at least identify the USB3 chipsets that the cameras doesn't work with, and those that they do work with. In that way people can at least try to get a computer with a USB3 controller that will work with the USB2 cameras.

I just tested my ASI120MM on another laptop, a 5 year old ASUS Zenbook, running Windows 10. On this laptop the ASI120MM works fine on the USB3 ports. But I won't be using the zenbook for astro imaging, only the Lenovo T420s...

But I'm looking to purchase a Intel NUC computer, to mount on my imaging rig, so I can just VNC into it, and all the newer of these NUC's all have only USB3 ports...
So it would be very much appreciated if the camera either just works on USB3 ports, or a list of working USB3 chipsets was available!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:30 am 

anderslange wrote:
Thank you for the response, I'll see what I can do...

But I do think it's a problem that the USB2 cameras doesn't always work on a USB3 port, since many newer computers only have USB3 ports!

I really hope you will fix the firmware / driver problems causing these issues! Or at least identify the USB3 chipsets that the cameras doesn't work with, and those that they do work with. In that way people can at least try to get a computer with a USB3 controller that will work with the USB2 cameras.

I just tested my ASI120MM on another laptop, a 5 year old ASUS Zenbook, running Windows 10. On this laptop the ASI120MM works fine on the USB3 ports. But I won't be using the zenbook for astro imaging, only the Lenovo T420s...

But I'm looking to purchase a Intel NUC computer, to mount on my imaging rig, so I can just VNC into it, and all the newer of these NUC's all have only USB3 ports...
So it would be very much appreciated if the camera either just works on USB3 ports, or a list of working USB3 chipsets was available!

we fix it by upgrading the usb2.0 camera to USB3.0 asi120mm-s
this is the only way we can do for an old camera ;)
we don't know USB3.0 port would have such issue when we design the USB2.0 camera

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:54 am 

Hi Sam

It's fully understandable that you didn't now that there would be problems with usb3 hosts on the older usb2 cameras when you designed them.

But since it is possible to firmware upgrade the usb2 cameras so they work on usb3 hosts, although less stable and fast, I just think that it should be possible to improve this firmware so it will be more stable.

You write about upgrading the usb2 cameras to usb3. does this mean you provide an upgrade service, where old usb2 cameras can be upgraded to usb3, or do you just mean that you have designed an upgraded usb3 camera to deal with the issue?

best regards
Anders Lange

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:34 pm 

Hi,

I am new here, and i came very late here, because i have this problem.

I have only ASI120MC, and i have one laptop that has 2 USB3.0 ports and 1 USB2.0 port, but the laptop isn't working for USB2.0 port and other ports but only USB3.0 is working, and it is the main laptop i use, so i tried many drivers of this camera and updating the driver of laptop, and i used a powered USB hub, but to my very bad luck i fried my ASI camera, now it is useless and i can't return it because guarantee will not cover this damage, if i came earlier to this forum then i will never try with my camera before it damaged, now i think i will not buy another ASI camera at all, and i have to solve my laptop port problem, too bad, i wish if there is a service center for ZWO cameras in my country, sending it overseas for fix will definitely ruin its original price, better buy new one or USB3,0 version which is not possible.

Thanks for your thread, next time i will be sure not to damage any camera if it didn't work on certain ports for reasons.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:15 am 

thanks for your feedback

sorry for the compatible problems
we still provide ASI120 cameras as still most of the users 99% don't have such problem in the past

but seems such problem rise and we are going to stop ASI120 production in the near future

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:25 am 

Sam wrote:
thanks for your feedback

sorry for the compatible problems
we still provide ASI120 cameras as still most of the users 99% don't have such problem in the past

but seems such problem rise and we are going to stop ASI120 production in the near future

Thanks for your reply.

To be honest, don't stop ASI120 production, but keep only USB3.0 version, this camera doesn't have a problem from what i see, it is only when try to use USB2.0 version on USB3.0 port, but USB3.0 camera will work on both USB version ports anyway, so it is logical to keep ASI120MM-S/ASI120MC-S only.

Good job from ZWO, i will buy ASI120MM-S or MC-S and the problem will be solved, just give lower price a bit for USB3.0 version and the camera sale will be good for sure.

Board index » Software » Windows